Black women take the lead

Sinayo Securities (Pty) Ltd is making a name for itself

Two Businesswomen Having Informal Meeting In Modern Office

Sinayo Securities (Pty) Ltd (“Sinayo Securities”) was born out of the idea that there was a lack of black women leadership in the stockbroking industry and therefore a great opportunity existed for black women to rise up and prove themselves and make a significant footprint in the aforementioned industry. Sinayo Securities has begun this process by being the only member of the Johannesburg Stock Exchange with a 90% black female shareholding, boasting a level 1 BEE rating. The other 10% has been reserved for staff members.


Though a relatively new comer to the JSE, Sinayo Securities understands that in order to be significant and have a sustainable long term business, service, integrity and education are paramount to achieving this success. These ideas are built into their vision to challenge the conventional mind-sets of value investors through providing leading insights on high growth pan-African markets.

Services

Sinayo Securities currently specialises in South African listed companies' equity sales and trading. The firm provides institutional investors in South Africa with quality themed research, exceptional client service through being insightful, responsive and connected and through deep appreciation of transformation responsibilities. They have an experienced dealing team with more than 50 years of market experience and are backed up with an experienced independent back-office to ensure compliance and timely settlement. Various products and services have been introduced such as quality third-party research, unique corporate access and mentoring and coaching young black investment professionals. They have also seen a need amongst their clients for corporate finance and already a number of deals are being worked on.

Education

Sinayo Securities believes that it has a core responsibility to be a role player in the South African transformation process. One of the ways the firm is doing so is by creating a graduate training programme under the auspices of the South African Institute of Stockbrokers. This programme is to further black talent, particularly in research and leadership in the stockbroking industry; to deepen the talent and skills pool; to create positive experiences that will lead to improved engagement and retention; and to produce graduates that are team players for their company and clients. They have also launched Project Funda, an exciting five-day program to enhance graduates' ability to analyse financial statements and to structure financial models. The graduates then presented their presentations before a panel of senior executives. The project has had some beneficial spinoffs for some of the 19 graduates that attended Sinayo Securities' first course in that a few were sponsored or “adopted” by companies to further their careers in the financial industry.

Future plans

Sinayo Securities not only plans to bolster their already established business services but has a number of exciting plans going forward, namely, to create and build up a derivative desk, an interest rate desk and a private client desk. Coupled with this, they see the necessity to build up a wealth division within the company. These two divisions will create a number of unique investment products which they are very excited about. This will take some time; however, the processes are all in place.


Sinayo Securities not only believes they have a role to play in the empowerment of black women in the financial industry but to be open minded and flexible when it comes to the needs of their clients. Building a long term sustainable business takes time, hard work and innovation and to this end they understand they need to walk a journey with their existing and future clients on the path to success.


For more information contact Kevin Barlow-Jones on 011 783 6599 or email him at kevinb@sinayo.co.za. You can also visit our website www.sinayo.co.za

comments powered by Disqus

RW1
R1

This edition

Issue 64
Current


Archive


Bluechip_Mag Education - SA should follow UK lead with financial literacy http://t.co/1C2GzIwdyg 0 years - reply - retweet - favorite

Bluechip_Mag Carbon Offsetting - Going green a must for sustainable business http://t.co/25C9uFDeje 0 years - reply - retweet - favorite

Bluechip_Mag Cutting edge - Capitec banks on Altech ISIS to drive innovation http://t.co/qaKm3ufzU7 0 years - reply - retweet - favorite

  • Nkosinathi Dayimani
  • Ayanda Ngomane
  • Vuyo Hlati
  • Senzo Hazley